Monday, May 30, 2011

New Projects

Today I started two new projects (like I needed anymore), one has been stewing for awhile and the other came to me last night as I went to bed.

the first one is a mailbox stand for my parents. Several years ago I painted a large rural mailbox with a three mast sailing ship on the open ocean, they never used it because they lived in town and had no place to put it, they have moved out about 6 or 7 miles outside of town and are now going to use it.

I will build a support to look like pilings with a pelican sitting on one and some tidal zone critters on it. below is one of the sketches I did to get a feel for the project and how it should look.



I looked up regulations for mailbox height and found it to be 41 to 45 inches from the ground to the bottom of the mailbox. Sono-tubes come 48" tall so I cut 8" off one and screwed that piece to the other one to set my height. I then fiberglassed it and set it aside to cure.

Later I will plug the ends with styrofoam and start applying epoxy clay so that I can texture them to look like old weathered pilings.

No comments:

Post a Comment