Sunday, May 1, 2011

Tools

A few weeks ago I saw an interesting item on a fellow signmakers blog. I did a little research and found out they were called painter's pyramids. I went to the site and found that they were quite inexpensive and thought that I may buy some, but every time I went to the site with the intent to buy I was dissuaded for some reason.

Sat April 30 I was at the bookstore browsing some magazines and in the readers tips section I found an article describing a home made version so today while the battery on the mower was charging I made some.

I had some scrap MDO laying in the shop so I ripped it to 3 inch wide strips, then set up the mitre saw to 30 degrees and started cutting little triangles, I then went to the drill press and using a 3/16 bit drilled three holes in a row and using a carving knife made slots.



I have a couple hundred feet of 3/16 rod for my sculptures so I used some to join to blocks together as seen.

these should prove invaluable the next time I need to paint both sides of a project in a hurry.

nothing was done with any great amount of precision, and if you need bigger just scale it up, the slots are not straight and perfect, and a large hole may do as well, it just needs to be big enough to allow the triangle to lean over and bear against the rod or dowel, probably a 1/2 hole for 3/16 rod.



One advantage of the commercial product is that it has tabs that can be attached to the work surface preventing them from sliding around as you try to put your project in place, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Not too bad for an hours labor, I got to use up some scraps, and I didn't have to wait for the mail man.

No comments:

Post a Comment