Monday, May 30, 2011

New Projects 2

The next sign will be a lobby sign. I am building this on spec so it may end up on my display wall.
My intent is to build it and then try to sell it to the Bear Hotel and if they are not interested I may try the Black Bear Diner.

Heres the sketches:

This is the first sketch but I didn't like the bear so I drew another

I like this one a lot better

I then went into Coreldraw and laid out an oval and the lettering (a grunge font found online) for the log end and sent the file to my Summa D-60 plotter. I then cut out the pattern and spray glued it to the polystyrene foam.




The next step was to use a hotwire knife to cut out the foam shape. At first I used a cheap foam cutter I picked up at Michael's but it wasn't up to the task, this foam is much more dense than what the knife was made for, so on to the home made hot wire I built using an old transformer and dimmer, it worked much better. there are many commercial cutters available but I had all the parts here so I just built rather than buy.




I then redrew the lettering and cut them out of 1 inch foam on my scroll saw and I grooved the edge of the oval to start the bark texture. I then glued the letters down with a product called magic smooth a two part epoxy with consistency of heavy petroleum jelly, made by the same folks that make the magic sculpt putty that I use like clay in my sculptures









I'll make more updates as I continue on these projects

No comments:

Post a Comment